Milling, overlay on 13 Killeen roads to be completed by tomorrow, Sept. 10
City crews are working on the final road repairs in a $5,896,323 million street improvement project, following damaged roads from February’s ice storm.
The repairs to 13 roads began on June 1 and involve milling, overlay and striping. Inclement weather pushed back timelines slightly past the 90-day goal, although the first, three road improvements were complete before the end of June.
Right now, crews are completing milling and overlay on 10th Street from Rancier Street to Hallmark Avenue, and they plan to be finished by tomorrow, Sept. 10.
Funding for the Department of Public Works came from the street maintenance fund and a supplemental allocation made by City Council for emergency street repairs. The initial project included 13 roads, but due to having remaining funds available, Public Works has recently added Little Nolan Road from WS Young Drive to Stan Schlueter Loop to the list for repairs. That road work will begin once the 10th Street project is complete this week.
The work being performed in this program is milling down at least two inches to remove the damaged layers of street, followed by asphalt overlay to replace the driving surface. Lone Star Paving is completing the work. Striping has not begun, but the Transportation Division says the project is due to be fully completed by the end of September.
1. Levy Lane: Completed June 14
2. Gateway Drive: Completed June 15
3. 38th Street: Completed June 24
4. Platinum Drive: Completed July 7
5. Stagecoach PH1: Completed July 8
6. Chantz Drive: Completed July 14
7. Winfield Drive: Completed July 15
8. WS Young Drive: Completed July 19
9. Trimmier Road: Completed July 19
10. Florence Road: Completed July 22
11. Santa Fe Avenue: Completed Aug. 2
12. Elms Road: Completed Aug. 27
13. 10th Street: To be completed Sept. 10