Recreation Services Parks Master Plan was adopted by City Council on February 8, 2022. Recreation Services Parks Master Plan is comprised of near- and long-term strategies for growing and sustainable maintenance of the park system, including a focus on both innovative and incremental improvement, public health and fiscal sustainability. This process started officially in December of 2021 and fourteen months later we have an approved Parks Master Plan.
The Parks Master Plan could not have been completed without citizens. Recreation Services engagement within our community snapshot:
- 5 Park Master Plan Work Group Meetings (comprised of citizens from 8 local organizations)
- 2 Youth Advisory Commission Meetings
- 5 Focus Group Meetings (Youth, Senior, Trails & Runners, Parkland Dedication, Culture Groups, and Adults & Youth Sports)
- 3 Community Meetings
- 575 Survey Respondents from 13 Online Surveys
- 175 Love Your Park Day volunteers
- 200 Movies in Your Park attendees
Staff will gauge the success of the Parks Master Plan by:
- Solidifying and adopting the parkland dedication ordinance
- Utilize the Operating and Maintenance plans as it relates to each community park to include application within park system for all parks
- Continue to create and establish park usage agreement with KISD to expand park acreage within park system
- Utilize the parks condition assessment to build on replacement cycles through each budget year
- Start to establish grow zones within our park system
- Launch YAC Park Ambassador program
- Continue park improvements
- Host bi-annual “Love Your Park Day” series
- People in our parks
CURRENT PARK IMPROVEMENTS
Conder Park – Restrooms
View Map (PDF)
Estimated construction area 2-4 months
Use caution near the sports fields as staff is prepping the site for new restrooms. This includes installing plumbing and electric.
Conder Park – Skate Park
Skate park renovations are currently in the design phase. Staff estimates a final design to include cost by March 2022.
Long Branch Park – Restrooms
Conder Park – Parking Lot (COMPLETED)
City Council approved $214,592.90 on January 25, 2022 to update all the parking lots at Conder Park, to include milling, overlay, curb stops, and striping.
Work was completed March 29, 2022
Lions Club Park - One New Canopy Completed
One of the new canopies at Lions Club Park has been completed. We will update as the rest of the new canopies are completed.
CDBG PARK IMPROVEMENTS
Conder Park – ($753,190.35)
AA Lane Park – ($300,000.00)
Bob Gilmore Center
Funding for this project is from the Governmental CIP Fund and CDBG in the total amount of $5,840,734.00. Construction will begin on July 6, 2022 and is expected to be completed in July 2023 with the ribbon cutting ceremony soon after.
Demolition of the Bob Gilmore Senior Center was completed on April 1, 2022. The new construction will begin this summer. For more information on the New Senior Center Plans, please visit: https://www.killeentexas.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5323/01132022-Senior-Center-Town-Hall-PDF