When is a backflow prevention assembly required?

Anytime a connection to the water system is made, the City's Backflow Prevention Division should be contacted to determine backflow prevention requirements. The Backflow Prevention Division is open Monday through Friday, between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. They can also be reached by calling 254-501-6500, ext. 4. A backflow prevention assembly may be required if you have a:

  • Carbonation system
  • Chemical feed
  • Fire suppression system
  • Lawn irrigation system
  • Swimming pool or spa
  • Water feature such as an ornamental fountain or fish pond

Underground Lawn Sprinklers / Irrigation Systems

The City of Killeen requires all underground lawn sprinkler / irrigation systems to have either a pressure vacuum breaker (PVB) or a reduced pressure zone assembly (RPZ) on all new installations. If there is an old double check in place, it is acceptable as long as it passes the test, once if fails or needs repair, it must be replaced with a PVB-where applicable or an RPZ. City code prohibits any type of cross connection which could endanger the water system.

Show All Answers

1. What is backflow?
2. How can cross connections and backflow affect my drinking water?
3. What can I do to prevent backflow?
4. What is a backflow prevention assembly?
5. When is a backflow prevention assembly required?
6. What is a Certified Backflow Assembly Tester and how can I find one?
7. What does it cost to test a backflow prevention assembly?
8. What are some different types of backflow prevention assemblies, devices, and methods?
9. Do I need a permit to have a backflow prevention assembly installed and is there a permit fee?
10. Who can install a backflow prevention assembly?
11. What does it cost to install a backflow prevention assembly?
12. Why am I required to have my backflow prevention assembly tested?
13. How often do backflow assemblies need to be tested?
14. Who is responsible for the testing and maintenance of the backflow prevention assembly?