City launches COVID-19 hotline.
The City of Killeen has established two important resources, a phone hotline and a webpage, to assist the community in understanding the local impacts of COVID-19. The situation continues to change, and these resources will help keep our public informed.
A COVID-19 hotline has been activated to answer questions related to the situation by phone. The phone number is 254-616-3209. Operators are available Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The City’s COVID-19 webpage is available 24-hours per day and contains important information and resources related to the situation. It is updated regularly to keep the public informed. The web address is KilleenTexas.gov/COVID19.
Following declarations and directives by Governor Greg Abbott, Bell County Judge David Blackburn and Mayor Jose Segarra, the following orders are in effect:
- No social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people
- No dine-in at eating establishments; drive-thru, pickup, or delivery options only
- Schools are closed temporarily
- No operations of gyms, fitness centers, health clubs or similar use
- No indoor amusements (movie theaters, pool halls, bowling alleys, playlands or similar use)
- No enclosed outdoor amusements with more than 10 people
- No visitation of nursing homes or senior care facilities
The following establishments are not affected by these orders: medical facilities, child-care facilities, grocery stores, convenience stores, shopping centers, airports, bus stations, offices and residences. In all cases, social distancing and vigilant personal hygiene practices are advised for occupants and patrons.
There are currently seven confirmed COVID-19 cases in Bell County: three cases in Temple, one case in Killeen, one case in Belton and two cases in the county outside of city limits.
The City of Killeen continues to actively monitor the COVID-19 situation and adjust internal and external protocols for employee and public safety.
The City of Killeen is taking all advisories about COVID-19 very seriously and has initiated a number of changes meant to limit virus exposure for employees and the public we serve. We encourage the public to conduct business with the City by phone and email. The following list of changes is current as of March 20, 2020:
Actions currently in place:
- additional cleaning of public facilities
- waiting area spacing for social distancing where possible
- cancellation of City-sponsored events with expected attendance of 10 or more
- cancellation of public/private events at City properties
Facility and program changes:
- Animal Services: shelter access to the public is by appointment only
- Police Department: limited public access to police headquarters and jail; call 9-1-1 for actual emergency; call 254-501-8800 for non-emergency and other services
- Human Resources: administrative offices closed to the public; call for service
- Public Works: all administrative offices closed to the public; call for service
- Solid Waste bulk collections: suspended indefinitely
- Recycling services: suspended indefinitely
- Killeen Municipal Court: Court cases scheduled March 16 through May 1 are canceled and will be rescheduled; appearances for citations can be made by the listed date by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 254-501-7850
- Bob Gilmore Senior Center: closed until further notice
- Lions Club Park Senior Center: closed until further notice
- Family Recreation Center: closed until further notice
- Killeen Community Center: closed until further notice
- Sports Leagues: all adult and youth sports leagues (adult softball and volleyball and youth baseball, softball and soccer) suspended until further notice
- Killeen Civic & Conference Center: business offices only open
- Killeen Arts & Activities Center: business offices only open
- Public Libraries: closed until further notice; curbside service for checking out materials is available Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.by calling the Main Library at 254-501-8996 or Copper Mountain Branch Library at 254-501-7871; patrons may also use downloadable resources at KilleenTexas.gov/Libraries
- Utility Collections: the lobby remains open for establishing new accounts and transferring service, but all payments should be made using the drive-through lanes, the drop box in the drive through or online at KilleenTexas.gov/UtilityCollections
*Facilities not listed remain open with regular hours.
Closures, amended hours and cancelations are in concert with federal, state and county guidance to limit the exposure of public and staff. It also allows more thorough cleaning and maintenance of City facilities to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other viruses.