KILLEEN, Texas (August 29, 2022) – Killeen’s Solid Waste division of the Public Works Department has resumed full services for curbside bulk trash collection beginning this week.
Curbside bulk trash collection was suspended in the City of Killeen beginning the week of May 30 to help combat a staffing shortage and high turnover. Citizens have had access to the City’s Transfer Station (12200 State Highway 195) where they can dispose of up to 300 pounds of bulk items once a month, free of charge.
Limited bulk collection began the week of Aug. 15 in an effort to clean up areas where bulk items had been left out during the suspension. Curbside bulk collection was not due to resume until Oct. 1, but Solid Waste staffing is now back at full capacity. We thank the community and media for helping spread the word about the employment shortages and our job fair, which brought in a number of qualified applicants. We also appreciate the community’s patience during this time.
As we fully resume curbside bulk collection, we would like to provide the following information for citizens when placing bulk items curbside:
Bulk Collection Services
• Bulk collection services will be provided on the regularly scheduled collection day and fees will be assessed on the monthly bill, as stated in the adopted fee schedule.
• Bulk items shall be placed curbside no later than 7a.m., but not earlier than one day prior to the scheduled collection day.
• Bulk items shall be placed with a clearance of at least four (4) feet on the sides, two (2) feet in the rear, and fourteen (14) feet above, so as not to restrict collection by a vehicle with a mechanical boom and grapple.
• Bulk piles shall not exceed four (4) cubic yards (6 ft. wide x 3 ft. high x 6 ft. long).
• Bulk items placed at the curb and requested on a day other than the regularly-scheduled collection day, will incur a “Premium Service” fee as stated in the adopted fee schedule.
Bulk Collection on scheduled collection day: $21 (includes up to 3 cubic yards- 3 ft. wide by 3 ft. high by 9 ft. long); $7.50 per cubic yard afterward
Premium Service fee: $23; each cubic yard is $7.50
For more information about our Department of Public Works’ Solid Waste division, including the Transfer Station, Recycling Center and holiday trash collection changes, please visit www.killeentexas.gov/SolidWaste.