Regular residential container, brush and bulk collections on normal schedule.
Standard Weekly Garbage Services
The City of Killeen is divided into four geographical areas. Each of these areas has an assigned garbage collection day, either Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday. See map.
All garbage collection services are done on your scheduled day. Standard weekly services that are included in the monthly garbage fee are:
- Once per week collection of garbage/rubbish placed in the city provided roll-out container(s).
- Once per week collection of brush, up to six cubic yards. Additional fees apply if the volume of brush exceeds six cubic yards. This fee is $7.50 per cubic yard in excess of the allowed six cubic yards.
- Once per week collection of yard waste (leaves, grass clippings, shrub trimmings) placed in bags only (6 bag limit).
Automated Collection Using Roll-Out Containers
The monthly garbage fee is based on the number of containers. The concept is, "You pay for what you throw away." The same as the other utilities you use such as water, sewer, and electricity. The City pays by the ton for all garbage that is collected, transported, and land filled. Residents equitably share in this cost through the city's variable rates based on the number of containers.
To conserve space in your container, consider separating out your recyclables and taking them to the Killeen Recycling Center.
Placement of Containers
Under normal circumstances, the container should be placed at or near the driveway approximately four feet from any mailbox, other obstacle, or another container. If you have more than one container, please leave a four foot separation between containers.
On streets where vehicle parking is not allowed, place the container behind the curb on level ground. On streets where parking is allowed, place container in the street gutter with the wheels against the curb for added stability. Always place the container at the curb with wheels and handle towards your residence.
Prohibited Items for Curbside Collection
The following shall not be placed at curbside for collection:
- Camper shells
- Hazardous waste material
- Lead acid batteries
- Liquid waste of any kind
- Machinery containing oil or gas, such as engines and lawn mowers
- Construction and demolition debris
Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, shrubs and garden trimmings. Citizens are encouraged to use a mulching mower which eliminates the raking and bagging of grass. However, if you have yard waste, put it in bags only and place at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on your regularly scheduled garbage collection day. Bags shall not weigh more than 50 pounds each and have sufficient wall strength and thickness to maintain physical integrity when lifted at the top with the opening closed. Six (6) bag maximum.
- Cut tree limbs or tree trunks into lengths not more than 12 feet
- Place the pile at curbside within three feet of curb by 7 a.m. on your scheduled garbage day.
- Stack brush away from parked vehicles, low hanging wires, fences, mail boxes, gas meters or other obstacle to provide safe clearance of the collection vehicle.
- The brush pile must be free of all other trash or rubbish because it is picked up separately and taken directly to a location to be chipped into mulch. Do not put treated lumber or fence boards in the pile.
- Do not place more than six cubic yards (or representative dimensions of four feet wide by four feet high by 12 feet long) at curb unless you intend to pay additional fees. Brush in excess of six cubic yards will be charged at a rate of $7.50 for each additional cubic yard. Six bags maximum.
- Limit of six (6) bags.
Special Collection Services
All waste materials, except prohibited items, placed at curbside on the scheduled weekly garbage day shall be picked up by the city. The utility account for the residential address that generated the waste will be billed (charged) for the service. Placing waste materials at curbside by the resident grants permission for the pickup. Examples of waste materials picked up for additional fees are:
- Furniture items such as couches, chairs, mattresses, bed frames and tables.
- Appliances such as hot water heaters, stoves, washing machines and dryers. Special provisions apply to appliances containing refrigerants. Call the Solid Waste Division at 254-501-7785 for instructions.
- Other bulky waste, such as barbecue grills, toys, ironing boards and lawn furniture.
- Excess garbage in plastic bags and boxes. Bags and boxes must be sturdy enough to hold the contents when lifted and weigh no more than 50 pounds. The materials in the bags or boxes shall be acceptable materials for collection and shall be properly contained.
The minimum fee is $21 per collection stop for a volume of waste materials up to three cubic yards. For volumes in excess of three cubic yards, the additional fee is $7.50 per cubic yard.
Container Use Do's & Don'ts
- Place all trash in the container or additional fees will be applied.
- Keep lid closed to prevent litter and keep the contents dry, resulting in less weight.
- Place the container at curb away from obstacles, with handle and wheel towards the residence.
- Return your container to storage after collection. Store your container in the backyard, garage, or other convenient location. Do not store the container near a furnace, fireplace, grill or other heat source.
- Cut up or collapse all boxes and cartons, including Styrofoam; before placing them into the container.
- Put construction debris, rocks, dirt, flammables or hazardous materials in the container
- Put hot ashes in the container
- Overfill the container
- Pack trash too tightly
- Paint or write on the container
- Remove the container from your residence