Building Inspections

Effective October 1, 2023, the Killeen permitting and inspection software is changing from Naviline to My Government Online (MGO).  MGO is an electronic, paperless portal system that will allow contractors and citizens to create their own accounts, submit their projects, request inspections, and pay fees through an online portal.  Beginning on October 1st, all new projects will go through the new MGO software. Existing projects started before October 1st will be completed through the former process.

MGO Graphic

To connect to the MGO portal click here.
MGO Connect  CP Help Guide (PDF)

2023 Permit Fees

New Traffic Increase Analysis (TIA)

Effective April 12, 2022

New Water & Wastewater Impact Fees

Effective April 13, 2021

Revised North Killeen Revitalization Program

Effective September 22, 2020

Historic downtown district


The following City codes, State and Federal laws have been adopted or apply to construction in the City of Killeen. They provide the minimum requirements to secure the beneficial interest, which are:

  • Adequate light and ventilation
  • Health and general welfare - through structural strength
  • Public safety
  • Safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment, including alteration, repair, removal, demolition, use and occupancy of buildings, structures or premises
  • Sanitation
  • Stability

CONSTRUCTION CODES (Effective March 01, 2022)

The construction codes are adopted and amended in Chapter 8, Killeen Code of Ordinances unless otherwise noted. Construction code books may be obtained by contacting the International Code Council.

  • International Building Code 2021 edition as amended
  • International Energy Code, 2021 edition as amended
  • International Fire Code, 2021 edition as amended in Chapter 11, Killeen Code of Ordinances
  • International Fuel Gas Code, 2021 edition as amended
  • International Mechanical Code, 2021 edition as amended
  • International Plumbing Code, 2021 edition as amended
  • International Property Maintenance Code, 2021 edition as amended
  • International Residential Code, 2021 edition as amended
  • National Electrical Code, 2020 edition as amended (local amendments (PDF))
  • Revised Table R301.2 Climate & Geographic Design Criteria




Permits are required when any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to or causes any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit for the work. 


Permits are required to install new or replace advertising signs. Includes pole signs, wall or window signs, temporary signs and off-premise signs (Billboards).


Before any person, firm or corporation shall perform or contract to perform a construction operation within the city limits for which a permit is required in the city under this Chapter, he shall first obtain a general construction registration issued by the City. This registration does not substitute for any permit required under this Chapter, nor does it substitute for any license required under this Chapter or State law.


Inspections are usually completed within 24 hours from the time they are dispatched to an inspector. Inspections are to be called in to the Hotline at 254-501-7766. Requests called in before 3 p.m. will be performed the next business day. If an emergency inspection is needed, please call 254-501-7762. Emergency inspections are for the restoration of services to occupied buildings for electrical, gas, water and sewer services.


A $15 permit is required for non-commercial car washes held by social, fraternal, religious or other organizations for fund-raising purposes. Some restrictions apply to zoning and number of car washes held at a business location. Please contact the permits department for additional information.


Garage sale may be held on residential property, with an $8 fee, so long as the following criteria are met:

  • A permit is required prior to having a garage sale.
  • No more than two sales at the same property address may be held during a calendar year.
  • Permit must be posted, visible from the street, at the time of the sale.
  • One sign is permitted, not to exceed two square feet, upon the property where the sale is taking place. All signs at any other location are prohibited. 

Download the permit application (PDF).


A building permit is required to erect a new fence or move, repair, or replace an existing fence on a property located within the City limits of Killeen. A fence permit must be obtained from the building inspections division prior to installation of a new or replacement (over 25 feet) of a fence. 

Fence Permits FAQ's (PDF)Fences, Sheds & Accessory Structures Brochure (PDF)


Generally, swimming pools are considered a source of enjoyment or pleasure; however, if the enclosure surrounding a swimming pool is improperly secured, it can become an imminent health hazard. In an effort to prevent small children from inadvertently wandering into a pool, all pools or spa with a swimming or bathing depth of 24 inches or more must be in compliance with City of Killeen codes:

  • A Permit must be obtained. A permit application will need to be submitted along with a plot plan showing the electrical service to the house and the proposed location of the pool.
  • Fences, structures, doors or gates shall not be less than four feet in height, with no openings that will allow a four-inch-diameter sphere to pass through.
  • All doors or gates opening directly into such enclosures must be equipped with self-closing and self-latching devices designed to keep, and capable of keeping, such doors and gates securely closed at all times when not in actual use.
  • Latching devices must be attached to the upper quarter of the gate or door.
  • For additional information, please see our Swimming Pool or Spa Guidelines (PDF)


  1. It is unlawful to open a place of business without first obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy. Fines upon conviction can cost up to $2000.
  2. A new Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required when there is a change of owner, change of business name, change of tenant, or change of use.
  3. A new water account cannot be set up without applying for a CO with the Building Inspections Department.
  4. Fees for CO are $90 application fee plus a $10 technology application fee.

Certificate of Occupancy for Businesses General Guidance
Certificate of Occupancy Flow Chart

For more information, contact the Permit Office at 254-501-7762 (press 2)