The Killeen Downtown Historic District has achieved listing in the National Register of Historic Places. The area has been recognized for its historical and architectural significance to the city and country.
The district is roughly bounded by Santa Fe Plaza, Avenue B, 4th Street and 8th Street. It is almost completely commercial in nature and features buildings built between 1895 and 1960. Historically significant properties range from a late 19th century Romanesque Revival bank to early 20th century stone and brick commercial buildings to early postwar modern offices and stores. Several churches also contribute to the area's historic significance.
The National Register of Historic Places is the nation's official list of cultural resources deemed worthy of preservation and includes more than 3,000 listings in Texas. Listing affords properties a measure of protection from the possible impact of federally funded projects, technical expertise and grant funds for restoration and preservation and federal tax benefits for rehabilitation of certain properties.
For more information about Killeen's Downtown revitalization efforts, click here.