The City of Killeen continues to actively monitor the COVID-19 situation. We remain engaged with federal, state and local emergency agencies to evaluate risks, obtain resources and plan response. The situation is changing rapidly, and we are adjusting internal and external protocols for employee and public safety.
The City of Killeen is taking all advisories about COVID-19 very seriously and has initiated a number of changes meant to limit virus exposure for employees and the public we serve.
Actions currently in place:
- additional cleaning of public facilities
- waiting area spacing for social distancing where possible
- cancellation of City-sponsored events with expected attendance of 50 or more
- cancellation of public/private events at City properties with expected attendance of 50 or more; staff will be contacting organizers for rescheduling
Facility and program changes:
- Public Meetings:
- March 17 City Council Workshop canceled
- March 19 Senior Citizens Advisory Board Meeting canceled
- Killeen Municipal Court: Court cases scheduled March 16 through May 1 are canceled and will be rescheduled; appearances for citations can be made by the listed date by email to email@example.com or phone at 254-501-7850
- Bob Gilmore Senior Center: closed until further notice
- Lions Club Park Senior Center: closed until further notice
- Family Recreation Center: open with reduced hours and programs
- hours of operation amended to Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m.
- daycare services canceled until further notice
- open gym canceled until further notice
- group fitness classes canceled until further notice
- Killeen Community Center: open with reduced hours and programs
- hours of operation amended to Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- open gym for basketball and pickleball canceled until further notice
- gym reservations and room reservations for more than 50 people canceled until further notice
- Sports Leagues: all adult and youth sports leagues (adult softball and volleyball and youth baseball, softball and soccer) suspended until further notice
- Public Libraries: closed until further notice; curbside service for checking out materials is available Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.by calling the Main Library at 254-501-8996 or Copper Mountain Branch Library at 254-501-7871; patrons may also use downloadable resources at KilleenTexas.gov/Libraries
- Utility Collections: the lobby remains open for establishing new accounts and transferring service, but all payments should be made using the drive-through lanes or online at KilleenTexas.gov/UtilityCollections
*Facilities not listed remain open with regular hours.
Closures, amended hours and cancelations are in concert with federal, state and county guidance to limit the exposure of public and staff. It also allows more thorough cleaning and maintenance of City facilities to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other viruses.
The City is establishing a webpage at ReadyKilleen.org that will contain important information and resources related to the COVID-19 situation. It will be updated regularly to keep the public informed of the local situation. The information will also be shared through the City’s social media outlets.