Responsibilities & Functions
The Communications Department plans and implements the public relations efforts for the City of Killeen. The department provides relevant, concise, timely information to the public, media and city staff through various communication tools to enhance the relationship between the City of Killeen and its customers.
Major functions of the Communications Department include:
- Development and distribution of news releases about city services, activities and programs; Response to media inquiries
- Support of all city departments in their public relations efforts
- Managing Legislative Affairs Division efforts
- Internal printing services
- Production of the internal and external city newsletters and publications
- Management of the city’s government access channel to include producing city council meetings, program videos and informational slides
- Management of the city’s website and social media outlets
- Community outreach
Killeen Citizens Academy
Killeen Citizens Academy is a free nine-week session designed to give citizens an inside look at their tax dollars at work. Participants will receive detailed information on a variety of City departments, functions and programs. They will also interact with staff and tour various City facilities.
Participants must be 18 years of age, cannot be running for political office and cannot be engaged in litigation against the City. Killeen and Fort Hood residents will be given priority enrollment.
Registration for 2020 has ended. If you would like to be notified of the next Killeen Citizen's Academy, please email communications.
City Insight Newsletter
Killeen’s resident newsletter, City Insight, showcases city programs and projects to give you the real scoop on what's happening in your city government. Hard copies of the newsletter are mailed directly to residents in their utility bills, and current and past issues are archived on the city’s website.